Direction (1 - 5): Rearrange the following sentences (A), (B), (C), (D), (E) and (F) to make a meaningful paragraph and then answer the questions which follow:
(A) In fact according to mainstream economists it is inevitable and a necessary evil in any economy.
(B) It is thus important for every nation to maintain this reserve of labour force to maintain an optimal level of unemployment.
(C) Unemployment is popularly believed to be an index which measures the economic condition of a nation.
(D) This is because it helps avert inflation by providing a reserve army of labour which keeps wages in check.
(E) The problem, however, only emerges when governments indirectly facilitate unemployment in order to curb inflation through various policies and frameworks, depriving a large population of its fundamental rights.
(F) But contrary to popular belief unemployment is not always disadvantageous to the economy of a state.
1. Which of the following sentences should be the SIXTH (LAST) after rearrangement?
(1) A (2) B (3) C (4) E (5) F
2. Which of the following sentences should be the FIRST after rearrangement?
(1) A (2) B (3) C (4) D (5)E
3. Which of the following sentences should be the FIFTH after rearrangement?
(1) A (2) B (3) C (4) E (5) F
4. Which of the following sentences should be the SECOND after rearrangement?
(1) A (2) B (3) D (4) E (5) F
5. Which of the following sentences should be the THIRD after rearrangement?
(1) A (2) E (3) D (4) F (5) C
Direction (6 - 10): Each question below has two blanks each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
6. Centre should__________ ministries whose functions with the state ministries to save money, deliver efficiency and avoid duplication of work.
(1) finish, differ
(2) establish, contradict
(3) constitute, matches
(4) abolish, overlap
(5) block, vary
7. Many people__________ genetically modified food but the reality is that all the food that we eat has been genetically modified naturally by thousands of years of
(1) praise, manipulation
(2) grow, mismanagement
(3) criticize, farming
(4) avoid, experience
(5) condemn, abuse
8. Given that only seven percent of the country's labour force is in the organised sector, training options__________ for the unorganized sectors should also be
(1) available, enhanced
(2) absent, improved
(3) lacking, sustained
(4) existing, restricted
(5) offered, limited
9. Government initiatives and participation of many industrial houses in loans to the villagers have led to the of the farmers.
(1) providing, plight
(2) disbursing, betterment
(3) denying, revitalization
(4) subsidizing, suffering
(5) taking, advancement
10. Indians will___________ one-fourth of total work force in the next five years but India needs to introspect whether its education system is__________ for these demographic dividends.
(1) become, adequate
(2) consist, incompetent
(3) constitute, unequipped
(4) represent, sound
(5) comprise, prepared
Also read :