• Malta, a Southern European country has started planning for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) that will be hosted by Malta in 2015. After 10 years, Malta will get the opportunity to host the summit after Commonwealth Summit 2005. The decision to hold the 2015 meeting in Malta was unanimously chosen at the retreat session of CHOGM in Colombo, Sri Lanka after Mauritius pulled out of hosting CHOGM 2015.
• A new Integrated Check Post (ICP) at the Agartala-Akhaura international India-Bangladesh border between the two countries was formally inaugurated. The first Integrated Indo- Bangladesh checkpost is likely to start a new chapter in India-Bangladesh relations. The checkpost will boost trade and people-to-people ties. The ICP was jointly inaugurated by Union Home Minister Sushil kumar Shinde and Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir from Bangladesh.
• Indian Journalists observed National Press Day across the country on November 16. The day when Press Council of India started functioning is an appropriate moment to analyse freedom of press and its responsibility towards society. On this day, Journalists are also honoured for their work by various states independently.
• Indian Army on Monday successfully test-fired the 290-km range the advanced version of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from Pokhran, Rajasthan. The Army has successfully followed the predetermined trajectory and has also successfully pierced the designated concrete structure. The missile was test launched at a speed of 2.8 Mach from a Mobile Autonomous Launcher (MAL). The missile is competent to carry a conventional warhead of 300 kg. Brahmos, capable to be launched from multiple platforms includes land, sea, sub-sea and air.
Awards and Honours
• Institute for Theoretical Physics and Advanced Mathematics Einstein-Galilei (IFM) award 2013 was grabbed by Burra Gautham Sidharth, Director, B.M. Birla Science Centre in Italy. The institute awarded him for his contributions in Science. Birla Science centre chief had earlier discovered that the universe is expanding. He will receive an IFM Diploma and a gold medal along with the award.
• 94 years old British Nobel Prize-winning author Doris Lessing passed away in London. Doris who wrote more than 80 books is the oldest recipient of the Nobel Prize in literature. The golden notebook, Memoirs of a survivor and The summer before the dark are her famous work.
• For the first time host of the 23rd All India G V Mavalankar Shooting Championship 2013, West Bengal secured first place in the championship, held in West Bengal. Five gold, five silvers and a bronze medal was secured by West Bengal shooters.More than 1400 shooters from 15 states took part in the 10 day long shooting championship. Maharashtra lied on second while Chandigarh was at third place in the championship.
• Olympic gold medallists Usain Bolt and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce have won the male and female World Athletes of the Year, 2013. International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) honoured both athletes at a ceremony in Monaco. The Jamaican sprinters Bolt and Fraser-Pryce also received a prize of USD $ 100000. For the fifth time Bolt has been named for this award. Bolt, 27, successfully defended his title in the 100 meters, 200 meters and 4x100 relay in Moscow while Pryce grabbed Gold medals in three events in Moscow.
• Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull’s team trumped France's Romain Grosjean to United States Grand Prix. Grosjean finished second ahead of his third-placed championship rival Red Bull's Mark Webber. With this victory, Vettel broke the record of Michael Schumacher’s winning seven races in a row in the same season. As this was Vettel’s eighth successive race in a season.
• The Czech Republic won the 101st Davis Cup 2013 finals, after defeating Serbia by 3-2 in the finals.Czech Republican Radek Stepanek outclassed Serbian Dusan Lajovic with 6-3, 6-1, 6-1 during the final fifth rubber of the Davis Cup. With this victory, Radek Stepanek defended the Davis Cup title 2013 of Czech Republic and became the third player in the history to win two consecutive Davis Cup Finals.